Last Updated: May 14, 2019
Our Services are designed and targeted to audiences in the U.S. and are governed by and operated in accordance with the laws of the U.S. If you are not a U.S. citizen or do not reside in the U.S., by using these Services and/or providing us with your Personal Information, you voluntarily consent to our collection, transfer, use, and disclosure of your Personal Information to the U.S. You also agree to waive any claims that may arise under your own national laws.
Our Services are generally targeted to adults. Unless we indicate otherwise, you must be at least 18 years old to register and to use the Services.
1. Types of information we collect and use
We collect and/or use information in three (3) categories: (1) Personal Information that you voluntarily provide when you register or participate in any features or activities on the Sites or other Services online or offline, (2) information that we passively collect as you navigate or use our Services such as IP Address, unique device ID, or transaction and viewing history; and (3) non-personal information that cannot be used to identify or contact a specific individual, such as anonymous and aggregated information.
Our Services may access or collect the following data:
- Information that identifies you, including:
- Information you voluntarily provide, which may include account information, name, email address, user credentials, age, gender, address and/or phone number;
- User files stored on your device or system (for example, calendar, picture, and video files) that you voluntarily provide.
- Information drawn from other sources, such as our advertisers, sponsors and promotional partners (collectively, “Advertisers”), and our affiliates, vendors, and various other providers of data.
We may also collect and use Personal Information about other people when you participate in certain programs or contests. By providing us with the Personal Information of others, you represent that you have the legal right to do so.
We may obtain location data from your device to provide location-related services. Your location information may be shared with third-parties with which we have contracted to perform the location-based features of our Services or collected by and/or shared with our third-party partners who help to provide you personalized advertisements.
We will ask for your permission before collecting this location data. You can withdraw consent to use precise, real-time or network location data at any time by turning off the location-based feature on your mobile device or by opting out of using any location-based features. If you withdraw consent, functionality associated with precise, real-time or network location may be limited. For more information about your choices regarding location data, see Your Choices below.
We collect Personal Information via postal mail, telephone, and in-person for various purposes, including contests, sweepstakes, promotions, purchases and other transactions, special events, surveys, voting, public affairs, and news gathering.
We may combine your Personal Information collected online or offline with information obtained from other social network and mobile platforms, or our family of affiliated companies, operational service providers, or other companies, such as credit bureaus, background check firms, marketing research companies, and/or Advertisers.
In order to receive additional information about our products and services, or to receive free education and information, such as our online newsletter, an online reputation assessment, eBooks, presentations, etc., we may ask you for information such as your name, address, postal address and telephone number, your e-mail address, a password, and other identifying information (such as your mother’s maiden name, city of birth, or pet name) to supply you with the information you are requesting. When we collect this information, we do not share it with any third parties.
Online Lead Submission
On our customers’ sites, we implement a web slider that asks for user information, such as name, email, phone number, and additional information about user interest in products available on the customer’s website. This information is governed by the privacy policies on those customers’ sites. We protect that information and only pass the information to the customer’s site on which it was submitted.
2. Monitoring Technologies; Cookies and Web Beacons
A “cookie” is a small text file stored on your device that helps us recognize repeat visitors, personalize your experience, deliver Services efficiently, monitor how our Services are used, deliver customized advertising, and for other purposes.
Web beacons are also known as “web bugs,” pixel tags, or clear GIFs. There are small, transparent graphic images that are placed on a web page or in an email and used to monitor the activity of the user accessing that web page or email. Web beacons are used for website traffic reporting, measuring advertising effectiveness, customizing users’ online experiences, and for other purposes.
You may configure your browser to reject cookies. If you do so, you might not be able to log-in to your account, access important functions, features and activities or enjoy certain conveniences or customized and personalized features of our Site and other Services.
3. How We Use Data
We use the information we collect to improve our Services, to develop new services, and to protect CBC, its affiliated businesses, and our users. For example, we may use the data we collect to:
- Perform analytics and improve our products and Services;
- Develop reports regarding usage, activity, and statistics;
- Comply with applicable laws, regulations, and legal process;
- Protect our rights, the rights of affiliates or related third-parties, or take appropriate legal action, such as to enforce our TOU;
- Keep a record of our transactions and communications;
- Facilitate the provision of software updates and product support;
- Improve products and other Services or provide Services or technologies to you;
- Connect non-personal information we automatically collect with personal information you provide to us or connect personal information about you from various sources; or
- Contact you through information you provide, including any email address or telephone number.
We will continue to incorporate new technology into our Services and our businesses for these purposes and related purposes.
4. Disclosure of Personal Information to Third Parties
- With your consent;
- To provide the Services that you access or request, complete transactions you initiate, or otherwise fulfill your requests;
- With CBC affiliates for business, operational, promotional or marketing purposes;
- With Advertisers if you participate in a co-branded, co-sponsored, or jointly present promotion, contest, or other Service;
- With Advertisers, network advertising services, and/or other third parties as described in the section below (see Customized Content and Advertising below);
- With our vendors or service providers, who are generally restricted from using your Personal Information for any purpose other than that for which we hire them;
- To protect the security of our Services or databases;
- To protect the rights or property of our users, CBC, its affiliates, our Advertisers, or our vendors and service providers;
- To implement or enforce our company policies, the TOU, the CBC Copyright Complaint Procedures, or agreements that we may enter into with you;
- To respond to subpoenas, legal process or government requests or investigations;
- To act in response to an emergency or situation that threatens the life, health, or security of an individual;
- To assist in the investigation of a violation (or presumed violation) of law, of if we believe in good faith that the law requires or authorizes such disclosure; or
- In connection with any proposed or actual sale, lease, merger, assignment, reorganization, or financing of all or any portion of CBC or our businesses.
Non-personal information collected from you does not identify you personally, and we may disclose non-personal information to third parties for any purpose.
5. Customized Content & Advertising
We may share your Personal Information with our Advertisers or other third parties for direct marketing and promotional purposes.
6. Safeguarding Children’s Privacy
Protecting the privacy of children is especially important. Generally, we will not knowingly collect online Personal Information or any other identifying data from children under 13 years of age. Should we discover that a child under the age of 13 submitted Personal Information to our Site, apps, or other Internet-based Services without first obtaining verifiable parental consent, we will immediately reject any such entry and delete that information from our database (to the extent technically feasible), unless such information meets an exception under the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”).
7. Your California Privacy Rights
Under the California “Shine the Light Act,” if you reside in California and have an established business relationship with us, you have the right to receive information about our online and offline opt-out/opt-in policies of sharing your Personal Information with affiliated entities or non-affiliated third parties, such as our Advertisers for direct marketing purposes. If you wish to learn about our opt-out/opt-in policies, please send your written request following the instructions below. We will not accept requests via the telephone or facsimile.
- We may not be able to respond to requests that are not labeled or sent properly, or do not have complete information.
- For all requests, include your full name, street address, city, state and zip code, and the name of the Services to which you are requesting the information.
- In your email request, you must state “Re: Your California Privacy Rights” in the subject line and send your email to [email protected].
- In your postal request, you must send a letter or post card to:American Underground, LLC/
Capitol Broadcasting Company, Inc.
Attn: Privacy Administrator/Your California Privacy Rights
2619 Western Boulevard
Raleigh, NC 27606
Non-affiliated third parties are independent from CBC and if you wish to receive information about your disclosure choices or stop communications from such third parties, you will need to contact those non-affiliated third parties directly.
8. Accessing Account Information
You can access and edit your registration information, including your e-mail address and options for receiving news and information and advertising emails. If you terminate your site registration, your email address will remain in our archived records after your account has been closed given the technical limitations of our system. However it will be moved to an inactive status.
We retain your Personal Information as long as it takes to provide the Services and as required by our corporate policies and laws. Upon your request, we also will remove your Personal Information from our active database(s) by emailing [Privacy Administrator]. Given the limitations of our computer systems, corporate business policies, and the requirements of federal or state laws, we may not be able to delete all of your Personal Information from our internal or back-up files. We may deny a request to access or change account information if we believe there is a question about the identity or authority of the requester.
9. Information Security
We take steps to protect the security of the Personal Information we collect and use. However, no physical or electronic security system is impenetrable, and we cannot guarantee the security of our servers or databases, nor can we guarantee that the information that you supply to us will not be intercepted during transmission over the Internet. Please use caution when disclosing your Personal Information.
10. Your Choices for the collection, use and sharing of your Personal Information
Location Information: We will ask for your permission before collecting precise, real-time, or network location information. It is your choice whether or not to allow for the collection of this location information, and you can withdraw consent to use this location information at any time by turning off the location-based feature on your mobile device or by opting out of using any location-based features. If you withdraw consent, functionality associated with precise, real-time, or network location may be limited.
Customized Content and Advertising: To opt-out of receiving customized content and/or advertising, please visit the Network Advertising Initiative Consumer Opt-Out Page at http://optout.networkadvertising.org/ and the Digital Advertising Alliance Consumer Choice Page at http://optout.aboutads.info. Please be aware that opting out of a network advertising service does not mean that you will not receive online ads. It only means that the network from which you opted out should no longer deliver ads tailored to your preferences and interests.
Users who no longer wish to receive alerts, notifications, or promotional messages from us via email may choose to unsubscribe at any time. All emails and newsletters also include opt-out instructions, generally at the bottom of each email received. Alerts sent via text message also have an opt-out mechanism.
We may share your Personal Information directly with our Advertisers for their direct marketing and promotional purposes only if you have granted your permission to do so. Depending on the activity, event or feature, you will have an opportunity to either “opt-in” or “opt-out” of such sharing at the time of registration, delivery of the activity, event or feature, or by contacting the Service via email.
You must use the designated method to notify us of your opt-out request, as we cannot guarantee that other methods of notification will be effective or timely. Please be aware that we may continue to contact you for administrative, transactional or informational purposes related to your use of our Services, including follow-up messages regarding contests you have entered or other transactions you have undertaken. By law, such messages are not considered to be unsolicited commercial messages.
12. Contacting Us / Report Misconduct